Ransom Old Tom Gin is a historically accurate revival of the predominant Gin in fashion during the mid 1800's and the golden age of American cocktails. The recipe was developed in collaboration with historian, author, and mixologist extraordinaire David Wondrich.
Old Tom is the Gin for mixing classic cocktails dating from the days before prohibition. Its subtle maltiness is the result of using a base wort of malted barley, combined with an infusion of botanicals in high proof corn spirits.
This fine gin is distilled through an alambic pot still in order to preserve the maximum amount of aromatics, flavor and body. Only the "heart of the hearts" (the very best portion of distillate) is retained for this special bottling.
A pioneering American craft spirit, Ransom Old Tom Gin was the first domestic barrel aged gin and the first domestic Old Tom Gin to be released since Prohibition.
Ransom Old Tom Gin opens with seductive aromatics of juniper berries and coastal forest, set off by apothecary spice notes of cardamom and angelica. The palate is rich and silky, with malt flavors punctuated by lively citrus zest and heady exotic notes of coriander and teak. The gin continues with suppleness and power, with the warmth and richness of the malt carrying clean, focused botanicals on a long, elegant finish.
Grain bill - Corn and barley (85% malted two-row barley, 15% Ransom Estate Un-malted barley
Distillation - Pot Distilled in 265 and 660 gallon Prulho alambic copper still. All cuts made by smell and taste.
Botanicals - Juniper berries, orange peel, lemon peel, coriander seed, cardamom pods, and angelica root. All botanicals are Certified Organic.
Aging - Aged in 100% used French oak wine barrels for six to twelve months.
MENTIONS AND AWARDS
- Gold Medal - 2017 Seattle International Spirits Awards
- Gold Medal - 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Gold Medal, Best in Category - San Diego Spirits Festival
- Best of Category - 7th Annual American Distilling Institute Judging
- 95 Points - Tasting Panel93 pts, Beverage Testing Institute
- Top 75 5 Star Spirits 2014 - F. Paul Pacult's The Spirit Journal.
Ransom Old Tom Gin
- 2 Oz (60ml) Ransom Old Tom Gin
- 1 Oz (30ml) Ransom Sweet Vermouth
- 1 Teaspoon Maraschino Liqueur
- 3 Dashes Scrappy's Orange Bitters
Stir all ingredients with ice except for the garnish. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Craft Spirits, Bitters, Beer, Cider & Elixirs from the Pacific Northwest