Captive Spirits Big Gin
Big Gin, from Captive Spirits Distillery in Seattle Washington, is a London Dry gin that's strong on the juniper. While there are other botanics in the mix, the juniper really stands out, followed by light citrus and then the others.
Nose: Bright, fresh citrus notes upfront, mixed with coriander, a little vanilla, and then a little menthol and black pepper. Taste: A good amount of spiciness cinnamon and cardamom that moves onto juniper and angelica. Then, like the nose, there is some bright citrus, before a dry finish with hints of pepper and menthol from the Grains of Paradise and Tasmania pepperberry.
"...a gin truly made for folks who love gin and want an assertive, juniper forward American craft gin." - Aaron Knoll, TheGinIsIn.com
"It's nice to come across a product that is not trying to make a "gin" for people who really want a vodka, nor is it trying to push the flavor in outre directions for reasons of gimmicky alone. But at the same time Big Gin is distince."
Mentions and Awards
- Gold Medal - American Craft Distillers (2014).
- Best of Category - Gold Medal - American Distilling Institute (2013) Judging of Artisan Spirits.
Wednesday Night Clover Club
- 2 oz / 60 ml Big Gin
- 0.5 oz / 15 ml Fresh lemon Juice
- 1/2 oz / 15 ml Raspberry syrup*
- 0.75 oz / 22 ml Egg white
Add all ingredients to a mixing tin & dry shake. Add ice and shake to chill and dilute. Fine strain into a coup glass.
* Raspberry Jam Syrup: Heaping bar spoon Raspberry preserves, 1 oz sugar, 1 oz warm water. Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker, shake to dissolve sugar, allow to cool before use.
Countesey Julia Tunstall of A Bar Above
Craft Spirits, Bitters, Beer, Cider & Elixirs from the Pacific Northwest